Skip to main content

Meters Department

The Meters Department's primary function is to ensure timely and accurate meter readings monthly. This Department continually maintains the District’s 8,200 water meters and meter reading infrastructure as well as testing 4,500 Backflow devices annually. From either read discrepancy or customer requests the department will investigate and resolve meter service problems and questions from the rate payers. The reading of the meters occurs monthly starting on the first working day of the month. The district meters are assigned to 3 Cycles totaling 55 Routes. The meters are read using an electronic mobile collector and handheld device that stores the readings. The Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) system makes up approximately 75% of the District’s meters, the other 25% of the district meters are read manually by foot. In an AMR system, a meter reader collects the meter reading consumption by driving a district vehicle with a truck mounted radio the “Mobile Collector”. The Utility Worker drives predetermined routes and picks up the read data very quickly as compared to manual reads. The other 25% remaining meters are manually read.

When meters are determined to be broken or functioning inefficiently, staff will either repair, replace, and/or test the water meters; clean and replace surrounding meter boxes. The department applies District procedures when investigating and reviewing with customers on a variety of water service problems. They perform flow and pressure tests as needed at the meter service. The department Interprets and reads maps to locate district assets utilizing the GeoViewer software. The department also operates water system valves and hydrants as required and assists with water main shutdowns. The department is responsible to verify and report service information corrections and respond to service orders issued by the customer service staff.