Changes have been made to the current Special Agricultural Water Rate. On 1/1/2021, TSAWR will become the Permanent Special Agricultural Water Rate (PSAWR) program. So, if you are currently enrolled in the Transitional Special Agricultural Water Rate (TSAWR) program, you should be aware that the San Diego County Water Authority recently changed the program in several ways. This new program will be open to new qualifiers and there will be no minimum amount of land dedicated to agricultural purposes unlike the previous program.
Here are some of the features associated to the new program.
By June 30, 2021 all previous TSAWR customers receiving the PSAWR program rate must be in one of four different eligibility programs:
1) San Diego Growers List - Pesticide Use;
2) Active Certified Producers Certificate – County of San Diego
3) Organic Producers - United States Department of Agriculture;
4) San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board General Agricultural Order Enrollment Program.
The San Diego County Department of Agriculture Weights and Measures would be an excellent resource for Eligibility Programs 1, 2 and 3, at 760-752-4700 (San Marcos Office). The San Diego Farm Bureau would be an excellent resource for information on Eligibility Program 4 – 760-745-3023.
What Happens Now?
If you are currently a TSAWR customer you will automatically be transferred to the PSAWR program on January 1, 2021 and can remain in the new program through June 30, 2021. However, to stay in the new program past June 30, 2021 and receive the PSAWR program rate differential, you must apply for and be enrolled in the new program by June 30, 2021.
During October, Rainbow MWD will be cross referencing these program lists to our TSAWR customer accounts to determine eligibility for the PSAWR program. Starting in November, RMWD will be sending out individualized information about your eligibility for the PSAWR Program including:
- If you are in the TSAWR program and on one of the eligibility lists, how to apply to continue in the PSAWR Program beyond June 30, 2021;
- If you are a current TSAWR participant but not on one of the eligibility lists shown above, you must either register in one of eligibility programs or be dropped off the program as of June 30, 2021. We will be providing you with information on how to enroll in one of the eligibility programs; and
If you are on an eligibility list, but not currently in the TSAWR Program, we will let you know that you are eligible to participate in the PSAWR program, effective January 1, 2021, and how to apply.
RMWD will be working hard to make the transition from the TSAWR to the PSAWR Program as smooth as possible.
For more details about the new program please download the pdf below.PSAWR Program Enrollment Form.pdfPSAWR HANDBOOK